Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bath time with Ryan

Thursday, June 12th, 2008

Bath time this morning was worthy of a journal entry. Ryan got up around 6:30 am. He was all excited to start his day. I fed him oatmeal with pears and pineapple for breakfast. He kept opening his mouth, so I fed him the whole bowl. He ate a big breakfast. After having a bowl of cereal myself, I took Ryan into the bathroom for bath time.

To keep him busy while I got his wash rags, clean diaper and clothes together, I gave him a bath toy to play with. Right now Ryan is working on three new teeth and has a cold that won't seem to go away. As a result, he leaves a snail trail of slobber and snot wherever he goes. While getting his clothes and such, Ryan took the bath toy out to the hall where he sucked on it and left a pool of slime. I made a mental note of it's location, and figured I'd clean it after his bath.

By this time, I smell a stinky diaper smell that lets me know Ryan needs to be cleaned up before getting into the bath. I grabbed his wipes and changing mat and brought them into the bathroom. Ryan doesn't like having his diaper changed, especially when it requires a lot of wiping. As a result, I've learned to change his diaper while he's standing next to something or crawling away as fast as his naked bum can take him. It takes a great deal of skill, I assure you. Ryan was leaning over on his hands and knees pulling wipes out of the wipes dispenser. I decided I would try cleaning him in that position. About 10 wipes later, and some weeping and wailing from Ryan, I got him cleaned up. I whisked the garbage can away as soon as I could. Ryan loves to pull dirty diapers out of the trash can liner. While whisking, Ryan stood up next to the toilet. I noticed he spit up a goodly amount of pears and oatmeal on the rug. No worries. I went to get a washcloth. I had no sooner wiped the rug clean when a stream of pee hits the side of the toilet and soaks into the rug, about where I had just cleaned it. I soaked up the pee with my rag, and decided I would wash the rug later.

Into the tub Ryan went. He had good times chewing on the rags, chewing the bath toys, playing in the running water, trying to catch the floating soap bottle. After finally catching, then sucking on a bar of soap the day before, I noticed Ryan wasn't that interested in the soap today. With fingers and toes shriveled from being in the water, I pulled Ryan out and stood him next to the tub to pat him dry. That's when he became engrossed in the shower curtain. I've had that shower curtain for three years, and never thought about washing it. Now that Ryan was wrapping, with glee, the dusty thing around his previously clean body, I was determined that the curtain, along with the peed on rug, would be washed today.

As I write this, Ryan is taking a nap, the washing machine is going, and I can't help but smile. I love our little bug.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Sheesh! After all that, you need a nap too! The endless mess is funny to tell about (and read about).