Thursday, June 05, 2008

The Power of the Many

This is a before and after picture (about 5 hour time difference) of putting up fence slats. What's the significance of that?

The addage of many hands make light work is true. Over the last few weeks, my wife and I and several siblings have been helping my in-laws rebuild their wooden fence. In the matter of a maybe 5 work-days we took the existing fence down, put in new posts, treated the slats and attached them to the fence frame. Working on this with one or two people and this project could have gone on for months because of lack of dedicated time or paralysis of where to begin.

It's more than just putting more people at a problem to get it done faster. What makes us all unique is our set of strengths and weakneses. In combination, it makes the work go faster because chances are that someone else's strength is one of your weaknesses. I'm just an office worker so I'm not very good at building things--especially wood things. However, I can use a drill and I can screw in many of the 1200+ screws (12 lbs) to hold all of the fence slats. Lesson learned. Working together on an endeavor is a good thing.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

The fence looks great! Tracy's folks are lucky to have family around to help out with the fence. That's a huge project.